Monday, June 23, 2014

Back on Track


After far too long I am finally resuming my 50 states project! I've had to ditch the map, unfortunately, but my progress will be marked in the list on the right. As you know, I have gotten into sewing lately, and have started sewing toys to donate. I still have a lot of improving to do, but even the wonky toys are pretty cute and huggable, so I am going to keep practicing. These two toys were sewn on the machine (except for the embroidery on the faces and the small appliqued pieces). Both patterns are free from Shiny Happy World and come with excellent instructions. I am (surprise, surprise) using up fabric that has been in my stash for over a decade. Notice a trend withh me and my crafting? I have got to use up all the things I am hoarding! Eveything that is available these days is so much cuter....

These toys are going to Dona Reynolds of Sewing Miles of Smiles. Dona makes and donates hundreds of toys, pillows, and more every year to a hospital near her, as well as to a few other places that provide services to children who are ill or in need. She is a wonderful, upbeat and creative woman, and I feel very lucky to have found her.


Inspired by Dona, I added a pocket to the back of the teddy (called Warren the Charity Bear, by the way) and tucked in a little finger puppet that I hand sewed from felt. I'm also using up random embroidery floss left over from kits purchased over the years, doing the hand sewing on these felt toys. I will have more to show you in my next post. I am learning so much from reading Dona's blog, and from Wendi Gratz's Shiny Happy World website, and am getting tons of ideas and inspiration for future donations. Fun times!

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

I love seeing your stuffed animals on Instagram! They're the mascots for happy. I also love that you resumed your 50 states project.

Sewing Miles of Smiles said...

They arrived! The kids are going to love them. Thanks Amy!