Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fun is Good


This hat was made for someone at Amos House in Rhode Island. I'm ashamed to say I haven't mailed it yet. That is the reason I haven't added Rhode Island to my map on the right, yet. Once it's on its way I will add Rhode Island. I actually lived in R.I, for nearly four years, in college. It's a pretty nice state, and from what I understand in many ways things have improved since I was there.


These socks were a birthday gift for a wonderful young man who recently joined our favorite professional basketball team, Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv. They took me just over three weeks to knit, but then his feet are a bit small, size 11.


If you've followed my blog for a while, you might recall that several years ago I started altering a book (scroll down a bit to see the relevant part of the post). I have finally started working in the book again. I was amazed to see how much the yellow ink on these pages had faded, especially since the book was closed all this time, not exposed to sun or even indirect light. I didn't really remember my original plan for these pages so I just went ahead and did as I liked.

I learned a lot by watching a number of videos by Teesha Moore (of Zettiology fame). She provides a basic formula for creating the pages (paint the paper, make some sort of border, added images, outline and shade the images, add text) and I really love the way following those steps - in my own way - turned out. But more importantly, I learned to not over-think what I'm doing, at least as far as the art goes. Try something out and if I like it, glue it down. Don't analyze or worry about whether it's the "right" thing to put in that place. This has really freed me to play in this altered book, which really is the main idea of doing such a thing in the first place! So I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Only problem is, if I'm playing in the altered book, I'm not knitting!


Here are two pages that I did this past week, start to finish. Can you tell I'm having fun? I still have a couple of pages I started a few years ago and never finished, so I'm hoping to get those done soon, too.

1 comment:

Joansie said...

Thanks for letting us know about Amos House as I visit that state often. I'm sure they will appreciate the hat.

The book idea is fantastic. You are definitely multi-talented.