Friday, October 5, 2007

What Day is It?



This has happened to me before. I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing, I lose track of time, even so far as what day of the week it is! I don't leave the house, I just stay in and focus on my knitting, crafting, or whatever. I guess it says alot about me that I actually don't mind at all not knowing what day it is, as long as I haven't let anybody who was depending on me down.

Above is the card I put together today for my sister. I made the backgrounds several days ago, using my Posh Impressions Rainbow Sponge. It's a really fun technique, and I just love bright colors! The pink card base is, in reality, a match for the hot pink you see in the sponged backgrounds. Don't know why the scanner read it as pale pink.

The socks (and card) for my niece went in the mail today. Her birthday is the 20th, so I have a fair chance of the gift reaching her on time. Now I'll just have to wait and see!

The I Love Gansey sock is working up alot faster than I thought it would. I'm already on the third repeat of the main cable pattern. In other words, I'm nearly to the heel! I've been scanning the Internet for photos, and weighing pros and cons as only a Libra can do, and I think I'm going to skip the pattern going down the heel and instep. I'm going to do my regular heel flap and a plain foot, and I have two reasons for this. First, of course, it will knit up alot faster that way. Second, I'm not convinced that cables and moss stitch hearts will truly be all that comfortable inside a shoe. I will probably make these socks again, for myself, and when I do I may try extending the pattern as the designer intended. We'll see. After all, I wear clogs in the winter, and those cute little Gansy hearts down the heel would be pretty sweet, don't you think?

Last night I worked on the Besotted scarf, and finished two 16-row repeats of the pattern. I'm nearly done with the first ball of Cascade 220 Superwash yarn, so I'd say I'm nearly halfway done. Once I get to about 48" in length, I'll see how much I have left of the second ball of yarn.

I experimented today with the crackle medium I bought at our local art store. The results weren't as dramatic as I'd hoped, but I wonder how much of that is operator error, and how much is due to the fact that I probably should have used a thicker surface than paper. We'll see, because now that I've tried it on paper, I'm going to experiment some more on other things, like cardboard.

I also tried out a new-to-me technique I read about on Splitcoast Stampers, called String Fling. I'll post a scan tomorrow, most likely, but again, I wasn't delighted with my results. I think maybe I used too much ink on the strings. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a chance to try again. I need to get busy on cards, because if today is really the 5th, I am already one card behind my schedule. Now that I have a better sense of how long these I Love Gansey socks take to knit, I can spare some time in the crafting room.

1 comment:

Bobbisox said...

Probably a good choice in terms of time management to not carry the pattern further. I don't know how bulky that would be but there are some patters with cables that I would re-do without carrying them down the foot. Too bulky and they make my ankles look even bigger.